The town was founded on January 31, 1764.
The original town name was Coventry named
after Coventry, Connecticut, home town to
many of the first settlers who arrived shortly
after the beginning of the Revolution. The
town's name was changed to Benton on
December 4, 1840 in honor of Thomas Hart
Benton the Missouri senator who championed
the American westward expansion.
Benton has the largest land area of any small
town in New Hampshire. The town is
literally split in half by the White Mountain
National Forest and is crossed by the
Population: 244 (2010 census)(Glencliff home residents
are wards of the state of NH)
Elevation: 1,272 feet
Highest point: Mount Moosilauke, 4,802 feet
Population density: 7.5 per sq. mile
Government: Board of Selectmen
The town meetings as well as social events
take place in the Town Hall building
located at the intersection of Coventry
Road (NH 116) and Bradley Hill Road.
Approximately 120 of the residents live in
The Glencliff Home for the Elderly in the
area locals refer to as Benton Flats and rest assured it is not flat.
Although Benton is rural and has no
commercial center we have many small
businesses serving the townsfolk and
Grafton County and the surrounding area.
Points of Interest and Activities:
Bath and Swiftwater covered bridges
Franconia Notch State Park
White Mountain National Forest
Lost River Campground
Hiking trails abound
Skiing at Cannon Mountain
Kayaking and canoeing